A once in a generation opportunity for the Lower Hutt Muslim Community
Lower Hutt Islamic Centre is the only Islamic Centre serving the needs of the Lower Hutt Muslim community since 1997, Alhamdulillah
The Muslim community in Lower Hutt City is estimated to be about 1068 according to Stats NZ Census 2018. Alhamdulillah.
The current building that was repurposed as the Lower Hutt Masjid, was built for a commercial setting comprising of retail shops. This meant that the space was never built with a masjid in mind but as the space was adequate for the community at the time, there was no requirement to look at this aspect seriously. However, a recent assessment of the building as per New Building Standards (NBS) indicated that the Lower Hutt Islamic Centre building is Earthquake prone.
We have worked through the options available to us, these include:
- Strengthening the existing building
- Adding additional space (after strengthening) to the existing structure with a mezzanine floor and
- Demolishing the existing structure and build afresh (clean-slate option).
A recent meeting with the community resulted in us going for the clean-slate option. This option gives us lesser complexity in terms of design, implementation (consenting, build etc.) and provides a better outcome than the other two options in terms of future-proofing our needs. A preliminary design has been drafted and further consultations with the professionals and initiation of consenting work is underway.
- The total estimated cost of the project is upwards of – 2 million NZD
- The total area of the masjid – 410 sq meters (approx).
- Men’s Prayer Hall capacity – 270 Nos
- Women’s Prayer Hall capacity – 130 Nos
- Total capacity(based on 0.75sqm area) – 400Nos
Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said – Whoever builds a mosque for the sake of Allah, then Allah will build for him a house like it in Paradise.” – [Sahih al-Bukhari, Sahih Muslim]
Please donate generously and secure a house in paradise InshaAllah.
Account name: Hutt Valley Trust
Account number: 02-0534-0189354-05